Taking an active role in monitoring one’s house, pets and children even when otherwise occupied is something we all should strive for. Luckily, with the advent of modern technologies, you’re able to do that safely and responsibly now through useful gadgets like this camera manufactured by VOTECOM.
At first glance, the VOTECOM Wi-Fi Hidden Camera looks like any ordinary adapter used to charge your phone and other gadgets. Honestly, unless someone would intentionally stoop down and gaze at the secluded camera hole, there’s little chance that they’d detect any kind of difference. Sadly the “charger” doesn’t actually charge anything, but since that’s more of a convenient bonus feature than anything else, it shouldn’t be counted against the camera.
What’s really important is how it performs when it’s time to record. The video it puts out is sharp and clear, and resolutions of up to 1080p are supported. It can either be streamed directly to an iOS or Android phone via Wi-Fi, or a microSD card can be inserted into it and reviewed later on.
Depending on the strength of your Wi-Fi, the video quality can be lowered to accommodate lag-free streaming. There is sound, but its quality is much worse than that of the video as it is prone to cutting off.
Perhaps the camera’s strongest feature is the VOTECOM mobile app used to control it via phone. Once you’ve set it up, the app displays a real-time feed which you can then tinker with. Settings such as contrast and brightness can be adjusted on the fly, and just by tapping the screen a time or two you can either take a screenshot of the current scene or start recording it directly onto the phone.
A motion sensor is also present, allowing you to capture only bouts of activity and save drive space. While this mode is active, you can opt to receive push notifications – every time the sensor detects something, a notification and a screenshot will be sent to your phone for review. Of course, it would be annoying to get these all day long, and that’s why the convenient sensitivity settings and notification scheduler are great for making the notifications behave the way you want.
The two problems with this camera are a lack of night vision mode and its forward angle. The first is self-explanatory, but to counter the second you’ll want to look for an elevated outlet if you want to capture anything more than people’s feet. This is great for pet surveillance, but might be tricky if you want to monitor your child’s crib and a suitable outlet is nowhere to be found.
Features to the VOTECOM Wi-Fi Hidden Camera
- Looks like an ordinary AC/DC adapter
- Capable of streaming 1080p video or capturing it to a microSD card
- Has a motion sensor with adjustable sensitivity levels
- A very true-to-life replica of an AC/DC adapter which is totally inconspicuous in practically any room in the house
- Diverse ways of accessing and reviewing footage
- Excellent accompanying app that lets you customize the camera’s settings and behavior
- Adjustable recording length and quality as well as loop and motion-activated modes
- No need to fuss over rechargeable batteries since it’s plugged into an outlet all the time
- Before you sync the camera with your phone via the app, its Wi-Fi is public, so anyone that happens to be looking at their nearby networks list may be able to see it. Changing its name will fix this though
- No night vision
- Low quality, choppy sound
- No microSD card included
- Lens’s angle is level, reducing the camera’s effectiveness when positioned close to the ground
VOTECOM’s camera offers a solid balance of features and cost, making it an appealing purchase for anyone who believes that their property might be in danger of theft or who’d like to keep a closer eye on their children and pets. It’s perfect as a covert surveillance device because of how well it blends into a home environment.
Although it lacks some advanced features and the sound quality is nothing to write home about, its impressive level of customization and the video it captures make it one of the more versatile cameras you can buy today.
Setting it up will take minutes of your time and, once it’s up and running, the VOTECOM Wi-Fi Hidden Camera will be a source of reassurance worth far more than what you paid for it.